Accomplished and success driven professional with extensive experience leading engineering operations.
Proven track record of success managing projects from conception to completion, re-establishing engineering infrastructure, reducing costs, maximising revenues/profits, and building/leading cross-functional teams. Expedite in product configuration, operational efficiency optimisation, innovative solutions execution, product development, and business strategies compliance. Excellent communicator along with proven ability to build robust relations and effectively manage competing demands.
Highlights of Expertise
- Strategic Business Planning
- Chartered engineer
- New Business Development
- Cost Reduction
- Process Redesign/Change Management
- Team Building & Leadership
- Production Engineering
- Corporate Administration
- P & L Accountability
- Relationship Management
Gatehouse Design Limited, Cambridgeshire, England
Managing Director (2012 to Present)
I founded this company to provide design automation software and an engineering consultancy. I grew the company turnover from start up in 2012 to £162k in 2017 with net profitability of 50%. Successfully completed consultancy contracts included:
- Product and Design Consultant, FPE Global, Stockport, England (2016 to 2017). Our product configurator reduced engineering cost by 95% and lead times by 3 weeks. Launched new range of intermediate bulk containers which can be manufactured without expensive press tooling.
- Interim Engineering and Technology Director, Clyde Bergemann, Doncaster (2014 to 2015) management of 30 engineers and 15 international projects worth £30M. Designed and Implemented strategic planning while supervising day-to-day tasks of sales support, engineering, and technological departments. Using software developed by Gatehouse Design we provided a product configurator which achieved a 90% reduction in overall engineering time and cost. Launched a new high-pressure screw injector product which facilitated sales of a £8m biomass project in 2016.
- Interim Engineering Director, Portasilo, York (2012 to 2014) management of 40 engineers and 20 international projects. Reduced risk of lost knowledge, and steered product configurator development process to design high-quality silo products within agreed timeframe. Invented and developed Graviflo for discharging very large flat bottom silo’s.
B&W Mechanical Handling Limited, Ely, England
Managing Director (2008 to 2012)
Delivered strategic direction and while supervising day-to-day management of this highly profitable business supplying mobile ship-loaders for narrow quays.
- Increased turnover by 30% to £12.46m
- Generated £5.85m nett profitability between 2008 and 2012 with an average of 14.2% net return on sales.
- Trained and developed executive management on effective communication and goal orientation to obtain long-term benefits.
- Reduced time to engineer ship-loaders by 60% by product standardisation, better project controls and improved access to information.
- Launched several new products including the Eco-Hopper with international patents which developed additional sales of £2M in first year of production.
Matcon Limited, Moreton-in-Marsh, England
Operations and Engineering Director (2002 to 2008)
Strategic responsibility for engineering, project management, purchasing and manufacturing for the rapidly growing business supplying food and pharmaceutical materials handling equipment.
- Increased turnover by 75% from £8.7M in 2002 to £15.2M in 2008
- Increased profitability by 800% from £78k in 2002 to £691k in 2008
- Reduced operational overheads by 20% whilst improving productivity by eradicating production and design problems.
- Reduced manufacturing costs of main IBC product by 40% by moving production to Czech Republic and China and the introduction of new press tools which achieved a ROI in 9 months.
Technical Director – Clyde Richard Simon (Clyde Materials Handling Group), Nottingham, England
Engineering Manager – Vac-U-Max (Clyde Materials Handling Group), Doncaster, England
Design Engineer – Vac-U-Max (Clyde Materials Handling Group), Doncaster, England
Owner – Unitone, Stone, England
Marine Engineer – Shell Tankers, London, England
Education & Credentials
Master of Science in Bulk Solids Handling
Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, Scotland
- Chartered Engineer Registration No 600297
- Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Registration No. 80024003
- Institute of Engineering & Technology Registration No. 1100448998
- WO 2014/056861 Vibrating floor 17/04/2014 – Vibrating floor to empty large flat-bottomed storage silos. The invention improved the performance of previous designs by using 60% less energy.
- EP 2 390 208 Eco-Hopper 30/11/2011 – Port side hopper for receiving dry bulk materials from a grab. Improved dust containment levels.
Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks, AutoCad, Navisworks, ANSYS finite element analysis, C#, VB.Net, Autodesk active programming interface used for automation and configuration of CAD, SQL, Advanced use and programming of Excel, Word.